Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My new batch of tadpoles - very belated entry


These were pictures of my third batch of tadpoles, taken the day after I posted on the tag board that I would be going to get my new batch. The first 2 pictures were taken a few days later, while the other 2 were taken a few weeks later, so one can imagine how long they take to grow their legs in captivity.

As for those curious where I managed to find so many tadpoles, there was a drain that was somewhere behind Manjusri Secondary School. After rainy days, the frogs would lay eggs which became tadpoles eventually if rainy season persisted. The second batch (i.e. the experimental batch was taken when the tadpoles hatched not long and dry season arrived), were unlike this batch which grew quite big already when I took them. This current batch looked like black giant sperms (just joking) which keep swimming in my mind after a long observation.

Anyway, 2 died, I don't know why, after which I released 3 after they grew 4 legs and shortened their tails. After a few more days, 3 died, probably due to them being too picky on the food. Their tails have not yet shortened. I released 2 more out into the wild with their tails still hanging behind their butt. Finally, that last one still with me now have not yet grown its front legs... super 'wols'... but at least still surviving.

No comments:

Post a Comment